Monday, January 2, 2012

A tribute to Kristian Anderson


I remember the first time I saw this clip back in 2010 and I cried like a baby.

This clip went viral and even made it on the Oprah Winfrey show.

For those who have never seen this clip, the star is Kristian Anderson, an Australian man who was diagnosed in 2009 with terminal bowel cancer. The clip is a birthday/thank you to his wife Rachel for her support during his diagnosis and treatment.

Kristian wrangled up Hugh Jackman (thanks to the efforts of Triple M radio) and the Prime Minister of New Zealand (Rachel is a kiwi) to make cameo appearances in the clip.

This clip is truly beautiful and I cry every time I see it. It serves as a beautiful reminder of the enduring nature of true love and commitment. After a rollercoaster 24 months, some girlfriends & I had lost faith in the idea of everlasting love or genuine men. I'm happy to say that this clip restores the faith ten fold & for that, this gorgeous tribute to a supportive wife will forever hold a top 5 place in my YouTube heart.

My heart broke this morning on my way to work, when I read that Kristian passed away yesterday (02/01/12).

It is a rare thing, to be so moved by a stranger. I suppose this is the beauty of the online world, whilst it can share sadness, anger and ugliness, it too can bring beauty, restored faith & hope to those you share with.

So this is my tribute, however small, to Kristian Anderson and his wife Rachel & their two boys. Thank you for casting this ray of sunshine on the online world and indeed in the hearts of many. You may have passed on to a better place, but you have forever left an incredibly beautiful mark on the world.

Yours in renewed hope,
Kat xx

No comments:

Post a Comment